For a while brands have been talking about how one needs to build a relationship with their consumers rather than just push sales at them. I thought that this was great move for brands, it showed that they actually cared.

However, I read a tweet posted by Rishad Tobacowala of VivaKi, that read:

Which got me thinking, do we actually have a relationship with brands who do we just like what they stand for? Nike is one of my favourite brands. Their products represents sporting excellence; they associate with sporting heroes like Serena Williams, Roger Federer and LeBron James. When you wear Nike you don’t just wear clothes, you wear a brand that evokes determination and high achievement.

By associating with such sporting giants I think it makes the brand inspiring and makes fairly insignificant sporty people like me, feel inspired to go after something when we wear their clothes.

Do I necessarily have a relationship with the brand? If I compare it to how I have a relationship with my friends, then no, not really. I don’t sit down and think about it, talk about it, or wonder how it’s feeling. Am I inspired by Nike? Yes, but only for moments at a time. Which makes me more interested by what Mr. Tobacwala points out.

So is the message to brands then: "Inspire me, make a difference, stand for a hire purpose. But please, don't try and have a relationship with me because I'm not having one with you"?

This topic is further discussed by Martin Weigel's, Head of Planning at Wieden & Kennedy, presentation here


Engaging or Inspiring?

Posted on

Monday 15 October 2012

Category

Leave a Reply